Every woman loves a good facial. Facials are extremely relaxing and pampering. Not only can a facial make you feel like a million bucks, it can make you look like a million bucks too! Please see the different treatments listed in the sidebar on the right of this page.
How facials can help you
Acne, blemishes, dry skin, fine lines and wrinkles, dullness – there are dozens of different skin problems that we face on a daily basis, and we are constantly looking for the best cleaners, creams, and treatments to soothe them. But even with all of the latest products, it can sometimes seem like flawless skin is impossible. If you are one of these people who constantly fights a losing battle with your skin, you might benefit from the help of a beauty professional who can analyze your skin and create a facial that best suits your needs.
What are facials?
Simply put, facials are beauty treatments that are designed to cleanse, smooth, firm, and moisturize the skin. Facials are one of the most popular of all spa treatments, coming in only behind massages, manicures, and pedicures. Depending on which spa or salon you go to, facials can include a variety of different steps and techniques including product application, cleansing, massaging, and even the use of specialized equipment. But regardless of where you go, the goal remains the same: cleaner, healthier, and more radiant skin.
What can you use a facial for?
- Cleansing and smoothing. The overall goal of a facial is to leave the skin feeling and looking cleaner and more radiant. This is accomplished through deep cleaning of the pores and a good exfoliation routine to remove dead and dull skin cells.
- Balancing and moisturizing. Hydration plays a huge role in the outward appearance of your skin. With the help of the right facial moisturizers, you can leave the spa with your skin feeling more balanced and less dry or oily
- Targeting specific skin conditions. While facials are great for improving the overall look and feel of the skin, they can also help to target specific problems like acne, dullness or oil, dark spots, and uneven skin tones (to name a few).
- Relaxation. Not only can facials make your skin look and feel great, but they are also a great way to relax and pamper yourself!
What health benefits are associated with facials?
It is claimed that a facial may:
- lowers stress levels. Facials are a good way to take a step back from a busy day and simply take some time to relax. In a study conducted by the User Science Institute, a 45-minute massage was shown to significantly reduce anxiety and boost mood. Not only is this great news for your overall health, but stress is also one of the main causes of premature aging so it’s also great news for your skin!
- helps to boost confidence by treating acne and blemishes
- improves blood circulation and facilitates better delivery of oxygen and nutrients to skin cells
- prevents premature aging by fighting free radicals
- exfoliates the skin and removes dead skin cells. This leaves skin looking brighter and healthier.
- tightens and ‘lifts’ the skin by boosting collagen production
- detoxifies the body by activating the lymphatic system and aiding in toxin release
- hydrates the skin leaving it less susceptible to fine lines, wrinkles, and other signs of aging.
What should you expect during a facial?
As said previously, the exact tools and techniques used in a facial can differ from shop to shop, but here are some things that you could expect during a facial:
- Preparation and product application. After being prepped for your facial, your specialist will apply various skincare products to your skin. The exact products may vary depending on your skincare concerns.
- Massage. While not all facials include massages, many do. Massages can help to stimulate the facial muscles, while at the same time promoting lymphatic drainage. Massage may extend from the face into the neck, shoulders, and even arms and hands.
- Use of equipment. Some facials may use special equipment to aid in the process of improving your skin. Microdermabrasion, for example, uses a small machine to blast tiny crystals onto the skin for deep exfoliation, and galvanic facials use low electrical currents to help products penetrate into the skin.
What are the different types of facials?
- Prescription facials. These are tailored to your skin type and the needs of your skin
- Deep cleansing facials. They are aimed at the goal of unblocking pores and cleansing the skin
- Hydrating facials. These help to hydrate the skin and are recommended for those with dry skin
- Brightening facials. They usually include a thorough exfoliation and are recommended for those with dull skin
- Anti-aging facials. These may include massages and specialized equipment to stimulate facial muscles and fight against the visible signs of aging
How can you make the effects of your facial last?
If you really want to feel the benefits of your facial, you will need to have a good at-home cleansing routine. Your daily skin care routine should include all-natural products in the forms of cleansers, toners, and moisturizers. Exfoliation is also recommended once a week so that you can remove dead skin cells and replace them with new ones. In addition to a good home cleansing routine, you should also be sure to maintain a healthy and balanced diet and drink plenty of water to ensure that your skin stays healthy and hydrated.
Are there any side effects to facials?
In general, facials are considered to be a very safe way of caring for your skin. With that being said, you should always be sure to let your specialist know if you have any allergies before any products are applied. You should also let your specialist know if you are pregnant, or if you experience any pain or discomfort.
Following a facial your skin may be more sensitive than usual, so you should avoid wearing makeup for 24 hours to avoid irritation. Keeping your face makeup free can also help to enhance the effects of your facial by giving your skin the opportunity to seep in all of the vitamins on your skin.
Did you know?
With modern day society becoming increasingly more health conscious, many spas are now moving away from products that use chemicals and moving towards all-natural ingredients. In fact, many facials are now being made from completely edible ingredients like avocados, chili peppers, and most people’s favourite – chocolate! The substances within foods are said to contain a variety of regenerative properties, as well as nutrients and enzymes that can help to slow down the aging process. And if we can combat aging using all-natural foods, then why allow unnatural chemicals and toxins to seep into our bodies?
If you like the idea of having youthful, glowing skin, a facial is just what you need! Not only can it help to target your biggest skin concerns, but it can also help to rejuvenate your skin and leave you feel refreshed and relaxed!