One type of facial that is gaining increasing popularity is the galvanic facial.
What is a galvanic facial?
Galvanic treatment is a term used in cosmetic dermatology that refers to the penetration of active ingredients into the skin via low intensity electrical currents (or galvanic currents). Treatments are performed by a small handheld device that pushes a low voltage into the skin. Gel is applied to the skin before use, in order to improve the electrical contact between the device and the skin. Such treatments are not considered to be painful. In fact, they are considered to be quite relaxing. The goal is to remove dead skin cells and restore circulation in the treatment area, thereby stimulating cell regeneration and collagen production.
What does a galvanic facial do?
It is claimed – note, ‘claimed’ not ‘proved’ – that a galvanic facial:
- increases the hydration in the skin to help blur the look of fine lines and wrinkles
- stimulates nerve endings to create muscle contractions and lift the facial muscles
- removes impurities and deeply cleanses the skin
- closes pores and diminishes blackheads
- regenerates cells to aide in collagen production
- protects the skin against everyday stresses
- aids in acne treatment
- increases oxygen and circulation to the skin, thereby leaving the skin feeling and looking nourished
- detoxifies the skin to erase dullness
- allows for deeper penetration of skin-care products
Who can get a galvanic facial?
Galvanic facials are relatively safe, and are an ideal facial for both men and women of all ages. With that being said, it is not recommended for those who have cuts or wounds in the treatment area, those who have metal parts in their body, or for those with vascular dilatation in the face.
How can you get the most out of your treatment?
In order to maximize the results of a galvanic facial, dermatologists may recommend that you receive one or more chemical peels before treatment. This increases the penetration of the natural substances used within the facial and helps them seep deep down into the skin.
Galvanic treatments are a great way to remove impurities from the skin and diminish fine lines and wrinkles, but it is up to you to maintain the results. Daily cleansing and moisturizing with all-natural products is recommended following treatment.
Does it work?
According to studies, immediate results can be seen following just one galvanic treatment session. So, our recommendation is that you try two or three treatments, and see how they work out for you.