Celebrities always seem to come to the stage looking like a million bucks. And while much of what we see on the big screen is photoshopped, we can also see a lot of celebrities looking picture perfect in day to day life. It seems that they hold the key to beauty secrets that so many of us are searching for. And while there are a large number of different treatments that celebrities use to keep their skin looking flawless, one of them that is gaining increasing popularity is called the Oxygen machine facial.
What is an Oxygen Machine Facial?
Oxygen facial machines use a pressurized stream of oxygen to help penetrate active ingredients into the skin. Today, these ingredients can include a wide range of things that have found to have a positive enhancement on our skin – hyaluronic acid, peptides, antioxidants, etc.
Oxygen facials have 4 different treatment options:
- Rejuvenate – Enhances hydration and reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Opulence – Reduces uneven skin tones and gives you more glowing skin
- Clarity – Soothes acne and restores moisture to aid in the battle against future breakouts
- Atoxelene – A needle free alternative to Botox that helps to make skin appear firmer and more hydrated.
The oxygen is delivered by a small wand that is somewhat resemblant of an airbrush. It emits a continuous flow of about 95% oxygen to the skin (our environment is only 18-21% oxygen). This is said to have an antibacterial effect, and is also said to help enhance the absorption of serums and ingredients into the skin.
What should you expect during an Oxygen facial?
- An aesthetician will cleanse and exfoliate your skin and an analysis will be done to decide which active ingredients will be suit your skin’s needs.
- The treatment of choice will be put onto your skin and a small wand will deliver oxygen to the skin
- Your aesthetician will explain how to care for you skin at home and discuss further treatment options
What are the benefits of an Oxygen facial?
- They Boost Collagen Production – When vitamins are pushed into the skin, it entices your body to produce collagen – which is one of the main attributing factors in healthy and youthful skin
- They purify the skin by providing the oxygen that it needs to replenish
- There are no side effects – Unlike many facial options that can cause burning or irritation, oxygen facials are side-effect free
What does it feel like and how long does it take?
An entire oxygen facial takes about 30-60 minutes and feels like a blast of cold air on the skin. You may feel a very slight amount of pressure, but this is not considered to be a painful treatment option.
How long do treatment results last?
Unfortunately, the results of this type of treatment are not said to be long lasting. Generally speaking you can expect your skin to look fantastic for about 4-7 days, after which you will need another treatment. With that being said, the cumulative effect of long term treatment may be greater. Specialists recommend one Oxygen facial per week for the first 6 weeks, followed by one maintenance session each month to see maximized results.
Does it work?
According to a 2006 New York times article, a dermatologist by the name of Dr. Zachary says no. He defines the idea of using oxygen to penetrate ingredients into the skin as “laughable” and states that there is no scientific evidence to back the claim that oxygen will drive nutrients into the skin any more than usual.
Many critics also worry that such a treatment could actually cause more harm than good. Why? Oxygen is thought to be one of the main causes of free radical damage and free radical damage is thought to be one of the main causes of outward aging. In return, many people question whether such treatments are causing free radical damage and actually creating fine lines and wrinkles as opposed to fighting them. Unfortunately, this topic is one that has not been touched on much in the cosmetic or scientific world, and remains a blind spot in research.